Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Storytime Theme - Don Freeman


Bear, Black Cub

Today's storytime was a little rough.  The group was a bit smaller than usual, and for whatever reason, they were less focused.  Today's theme was Don Freeman, illustrator of Corduroy.  Rather than using my regular puppet Snaily Snail, I brough Jelly Belly, my new baby black bear puppet.  She's a new puppet and I don't have her fully figured out yet.  She's very soft, so I invited the kids to come up and pet her.  One of the little boys was a little afraid, because "her claws are very sharp." It was so cute!  It took a few minutes, but all the kids worked up the courage to pet her and seemed to enjoy it.


We read Corduroy and Beady Bear.  The books are classics, but were too long - especially for my rowdy group of 2, 3 and 4 year olds.  I wouldn't have chosen this theme/these books  on my own, but the choice wasn't mine. I used the action rhyme "Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear," our "Five Little Bears" flannel board and Raffi's "Shake Your Sillies Out" to break up the storytime.  The craft was a success at least- we created large corrugated bear stamps that we "inked" with paint and then we added single strap overalls and buttons.  Next week is Jonathan Lambert, which will be fun!
.    Corduroy

No comments: